The Internet Protocol Television (abbr.: IPTV) designates the transfer of film and TV programs via Internet. This transfer form is put into practice by means of special end devices in connection with a TV set, but also via mobile phones and computers.
IPTV - The Future of Television?
IPTV for example offers forms of interactivity to its users. In addition to that IPTV provides subscribers of offers connected with costs with secure lines as well as a better quality of the picture than other formats like for example cable TV.
The technical improvement continues - and by that also the improvement of quality of the free IPTV. The popularity of IPTV grows and grows. By that the operators of IPTV become a threat to the operators of the broadcasting companies.
End Devices for IPTV
In general IPTV is mainly used in connection with the following end devices: A personal computer via a special software installation, mobile devices like mobile phones or Set-Top-Boxes that are connected to a router and a TV set.
The Advantages of IPTV
- There are online video stores for an individual combination of different programs.
- There is the option to order a delivery of a hard disk for the digital recording (including a Set-Box for data processing).
- The costumer may enjoy the time-delayed watching of TV programs due to a special push button.
- IPTV offers an improved quality of the picture as well as the possibility to receive high-definition television.
- It also comes along with an interactive usage via electronic shopping-, e-mail- or music-guides.
The Disadvantages of IPTV
- Before you may use IPTV you have to make sure to possess access to DSL and the availability of a provider of IPTV.
- Every TV set needs an IPTV-Set-Top-Box.
- The bandwidth of the Internet has to be large enough for displaying IPTV.
- Concerning data protection it is still questioned if the customers of IPTV become transparent users, in which way companies may use these conditions for their own benefits and how an appropriate law concerning this difficulty would look like.